Key Application Sectors of Sulfolane
BTX Aromatics Extraction Process (LLE, ED)
- Supplied to end users to specification advised by process licensor (UOP)
- Liquid-Liquid Extraction(LLE)
- Extractive Distillation (ED)
Gas Sweetening (SULFINOL® Process)
- Used to remove “sour” components (H2S, CO2) in order to meet strict pipeline specifications for LNG
- Heat value
- Process licensor Shell
- Sulfolane is a high purity, versatile polar aprotic solvent that is used in the synthesis of raw materials and intermediates or as a full process solvent medium. It is miscible with water and aromatic hydrocarbons and has exceptional chemical and thermal stability.
- As a polymerization solvent, Sulfolane can be used in a number of systems, such as water soluble polysaccharide polymers prepared from a glucose solution in Sulfolane with a phosphoric acid catalyst. Also Cellulose acetate and polylactams benefit from the addition of Sulfolane to act as a plasticizer.
- Sulfolane by nature is a very high boiling, inert polar solvent which is miscible with water, aromatic hydrocarbons and solvents such as benzene, toluene, xylene, acetone, percholoroethylene and aniline.
- Coupled with our extremely low impurity profile, this makes Sulfolane a perfect solvent in Agrochemical applications for the synthesis of fungicides, herbicides and pesticides.
- Sulfolane is readily miscible with water, which enables aqueous sulfolane combinations with dyes to give enhanced properties such as the ability to intensify the colour fastness of a dye on hydrophobic synthetic fibres such as polyester, acrylic and modacrylic.
- These aqueous based dyes have also given a better colour build up and higher storage stability when used for printing or dyeing fabrics.
- Sulfolane helps printing pastes (typically gum thickened aqueous dye pastes) for textile applications giving better depth and colour brightness in fabrics such as silk, wool, nylon, cotton and rayon.
- Jet printing ink formulations containing Sulfolane have good storage stability, do not clog printer nozzles, and give high quality prints with good fixation on substrates.
- Sulfolane is an excellent solvent for numerous reactions, particularly those where anhydrous and polar solvents are required.
- Sulfolane is used as a spinning and casting solvent giving an improvement in the properties of synthetic fibres and fabrics.
Europe OfficeThe Sulfolane Company BV,
North American OfficeThe Sulfolane Company Inc.
3 Wyvis Court
Stoney Creek, ON
The Sulfolane Company Ltd,
B-5-8 Plaza Mont Kiara,
Mont Kiara 50480,
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia